Monday, May 7, 2012

The little end.

Big projects of long duration are not for everyone.

It can be difficult to keep your focus on where you are at, where you are going and how you're going to get there.  I happen to be one who likes it.  I love the planning, the doing and the great feeling of accomplishment when done.  There are the occasional "I've been sanding this friggin' boat for a month, now it's time to paint" moments.  I have to keep reminding myself that the prep work is one of the BIG keys to success.  The "let's sand it one more time, give it another coat, check it with the Fluke meter, pressure test it" take time but usually pay off in the end.

END... there's a good word.  I learned a long time ago in the construction business that anyone can start a project.  Learning how to END the project is the trick.  For awhile there I was wondering if I had forgotten that part and I know some of you were (are) thinking the same thing.

I'm rambling here but that's OK.  I'm waiting for the rain to stop so I can head up the boat...and I'm retired...and it's my blog.

Another key to keeping your sanity is dividing up the big project into a number of small projects.  Each has it's own planning, doing and end

We've done that with Scout.  The teak deck removal, the window replacements, the painting, the thru-hulls, the windlass and on and on.  We've almost worked away through the lengthy list of small projects each finished, done, complete and ended.
This weekend we finished up two biggies that took a lot of planning and doing to get to the end.  The 3000 watt true sine wave inverter added to the boats electrical system is in.  It's complete and works great.  The Simrad autopilot is in, wired, plumbed and steering lines bled. It's complete and works great.

All the planning and doing was worth the great feeling of accomplishment.

I keep telling myself....end + end + end + end + end + end + end +end = END!


It was a really good weekend!